5.03.2008

Movies That Make You Go "Hmm."

Who Killed the Electric Car?
I am a firm believer that someday, we will use electricity to power our cars. I've often wondered why there aren't more electric cars on the road. Once I watched this movie, I continued to wonder, but now I know that the technology exists and should be available to use right now. This movie is a compelling look at the rise and quick fall of the electric car that Saturn released in the 90's. If you are an environmentalist, this movie might make you angry at President Bush and the state of California. Personally, I think this whole gas price war is a lot more complicated than an oil shortage, bad economy, or Saudiarabian bullies, and this movie proves it. Maybe the rising gas prices will push this technology back into the lime lite. I hope so.


The Kite Runner
This a story about the life of a boy in Afghanistan before the Soviet occupation. It shows a compelling view of what life was like before the communists invaded, and what happened to Afghanistan after the Taliban took over. I LOVE the character of the boys father who has no fear to stand up for what is right, even while facing death. He is a heroic figure. I also enjoyed the character of his loyal best friend. What an amazing little boy.

After watching this movie, I can see why we are fighting the Taliban. It makes me want to support the war in Afghanistan. This is a good movie, but has sad moments. I recommend it highly, but be aware that kids probably shouldn't watch the last 1/4 of the movie because it gets pretty intense towards the end.

3 comments:

Eddie the Girl said...

I've wanted to first read and then see the movie, but I am going to have to be emotionaly prepaired for it.

Eddie the Girl said...

I've wanted to first read and then see the movie, but I am going to have to be emotionaly prepaired for it.

Wren/Karen said...

Last year I showed this movie to my students. I really enjoyed it. A lot to think about. I've been reading Kite Runner too. We must have similar reading tastes. Are you on Good Reads? You should sign up and we can compare books. I would love to see other suggestions from you.