5.16.2008

Google Hack, Firefox Autoload Tab Magic, Firefox Export Bookmarks


GOOGLE ALERTS
My mom just showed me a way that I can have Google alerts sent automatically to my email address. This is an awesome feature because you can keep track of any topic, news story, or whatever else that is submitted on the web. In particular, I am using the alert system to tell me if a particular person's name shows up anywhere on the web.

Here is a link to setup Google Alerts. I don't believe you have to possess a Google email account because it asks you for the email address that the alerts will be sent to. However, I can't be 100% sure since I am currently logged into my Gmail account. Please let me know if you have any problems signing up without a Gmail account.


AUTOLOAD TABS ON FIREFOX STARTUP
I also relearned a cool feature in Firefox. For those of you who use Firefox to browse the web, hoorah! Good for you! (If you don't have Firefox, download it here. Its much better than Internet Explorer).

This feature is the ability to have several tabs open and auto load to specific web pages when you open Firefox. I love this feature because I usually frequent several web pages each time I go on the internet, and having to load each page over and over again is a pain.

To auto load tabs when Firefox starts, you need to do a one time setup.
  1. Open Firefox
  2. Create a new tab for every web page that you want to auto load when Firefox starts. In other words, open each web page that you want to auto load in a new tab. (Make Firefox look like you want it to look when you open it up the first time).
  3. Once you have all of the tabs created, navigate to the Tools menu.
  4. Select Options
  5. Make sure you are on the "Main" section of the options
  6. Where it says "Home page" there is a button underneath that says "Use Current Pages"
  7. Click on "Use Current Pages"
  8. Thats it. Now each time you open Firefox, each of the tabs will open automatically.

Firefox Bookmark Backup
I am someone who uses bookmarks religiously. I bookmark just about anything interesting that I might want to see again in the future. I use a cool web program/utility called De.lic.ious, but I also make sure that I back up my Firefox bookmarks regularly, just incase something should happen to my computer. Losing a bunch of bookmarks would be like losing my address book or cell phone. I would feel completely lost.

Its easy to backup your bookmarks for future emergencies. You can use Delicious, or you can export your Firefox bookmarks and save them to another hard drive, disk, or burn them to a CD.
To export your bookmarks:
  1. Go to "Bookmarks" on the toolbar at the top of your screen in Firefox.
  2. Select "organize bookmarks"
  3. Navigate to the "File" menu at the top of the screen
  4. Chose "export"
  5. Save the file somewhere secure
If you ever have to restore your bookmarks, use the same instructions except chose "import" instead of "export" in the file menu.

Happy surfing!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

ohhhhhhhhhhh what name?

Eddie the Girl said...

oh my heck these tips are soo wonderfull. people who know this web site are lucky.

Kelli said...

question for computer girl:
If I am in igoogle and I get clicking faster than my computer is ready to think, I get that mircorsoft error and it shuts down? whats up with that?

Eddie the Girl said...

so I just got a new jump drive at best buy and it has the U3 capability which I used to find annoying but now that I understand it a little better I like it. I got the geek squad jump drive which I really like b/c the U3 option doesn't automatically load up. It actually one some kind of design award. any way, with my U3 capability I decided to do the automatically opening tabs like you you explain on this page. thank you again for the tip!