6.20.2008

Sears Ripped Me Off

I bought Steven 3 pairs of jeans on the Sears.com website because the size he needs is not in stock at Sears very often. When we received the jeans in the mail, they were a different color and fit than the jeans they sell in the store even though they were the same brand and style. Needless to say, he didn't wear them and we needed to return them. After finding the shipping invoice a few months later, I finally took the jeans to Sears in Puyallup so I could return them. I had the shipping invoice in hand that had the product numbers, receipt number, and price I paid.The receipt wouldn't come up in the computer system, so the cashier told me the only thing she could do was give me store credit (a gift card) by doing a non receipt return. She punched in all of the numbers, and after doing all of the work, informed me that I would only be receiving HALF of my purchase price on the gift card because the jeans were only worth the last sale price. In other words, even though I spent 80 dollars on jeans, and I had a receipt in front of me, I would only be receiving a little over 40 dollars on a gift card.Sears scammed me out of 40 dollars. I will never shop there again. What a rip off. Don't buy anything on Sears.com or at Sears if you can help it. There were several managers available at the store because it looked like they were getting audited, but none of them took the time to see if they could help out. The one girl who lent a hand was very apologetic but said there was nothing she could do.Grr. What is with American businesses? I just got jipped out of 40 bucks and there is "nothing I can do?" Oh there is something I can do. You bet there is something I can do. I can let the whole world know that Sears doesn't honor their sales, they don't care about the customer, and they will do whatever they can to get money out of your pocket. I can advertise for stores that care about their customers in the same blog that exposes their bad business practices. If you need tools, shop at McClendons or Home Depot. If you need clothes, shop anywhere else. If you need a new washer and drier or dishwasher, get it at Fry's, Home Depot, or a mom and pop shop. If you've got a little time, buy at http://www.us-appliance.com with free shipping. For electronics, TigerDirect.com or Newegg.com is always cheaper and they have great customer service. IF you need a new mattress, get an awesome discount at http://www.us-mattress.com/. And yes, you can usually get all of these items on credit even on the internet.Sears is a ripoff and a joke. I will never shop there again unless I am in dire need of something that I can't possibly find somewhere else. Even then, I may not shop there just on principle. As much as I hate Walmart, at least they let you return items and get your money back. If Sears can't even do that, then they don't deserve to be open. Boycott Sears!

5 comments:

Eddie the Girl said...

there is a fry's really close to my family's home in LA. My dad loves that place. I do to.

Kelli said...

I cant believe with the reicpt all that happened. Sorry. 40.00 is ALOT of money. I dont think I would have left the store until it was the way I wanted it. You had a recipet.

Halvorsen Family said...

Maybe a note to corporate headquarters wouldn't hurt. Let them know how you feel (and that you have a blogsite..that might prick their ears!) I'm sorry for your bad experience there. I've had similar experiences at various other places, too. Especially in todays economy, 40 bucks is much to lose. You're not trying to rip them off...you just want your money back (Any good, reputable, honest company should honor that!!) Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Judie & George said...

Seems like there should be some recourse. I was irritated just reading about it.

blackgata said...

Emily, you must call the store manager. He/she is the one empowered to make this right and I agree $40 is way too much to give away. Now that I am old and grouchy, it doesn't bother me at all to call and complain to a store manager when things aren't right. It usually works too. Also I could tell you a few horror stories about my dealings with Sears too.