6.24.2008

Solar Powered Battery Charger

I recently learned how to use a multimeter to determine if something was broken or not. For some reason, that started a huge crazy desire in me to learn about electronics and how they work. I think I've always been interested, but never knew where to start. I found some good web pages that introduce electronics in simple terms. Here is a link to one of them.

When I first started to think about electronics, I got immediately obsessed with the idea of using solar power to power items in my home. It turns out all you need is a 12 volt battery (the kind you use in a car or boat), some solar panels, and a couple extra things to regulate the charge and to change the power into standard A/C. Wowee! That was a huge revelation! That got me even more excited, and now I am on a electronics binge while i try to learn everything I can about it.

So, I ordered about 20 bucks worth of parts, and I am currently in the process of building my own solar powered battery charger. Its a small project. It will charge 4 AA batteries. The project is on hold while I wait for a multimeter that I ordered off the internet to arrive.

Details about how to build a solar powered battery charger are soon to come. Stay tuned. We will see if it works....

3 comments:

Judie & George said...

This will be fun! Sometimes we see a show on HG TV that has Ed Begley (old Disney star) who is really into this stuff. I can't remember the name of it, but it is very interesting. Once we went to a home that was totally off the grid. It was amazing!

Kelli said...

I wish I could save the clean water than runs down my drain. Can you figure that out. I think we could reuse it for not drinking things.

Halvorsen Family said...

Wow! This all sounds so intriguing...yet complicated. I'm interested to see how it'll all work.